Saturday, May 21, 2011

new kind-of a saturday morning

I'm learning that in order for my kids to really love a food, it's best to attach a memory to it.
I think thats one reason why they're loving the farmers markets so much
and actually even attempting things they normally wouldn't...just because its under a tent and is presented somewhat festively. :)
 
instead of the usual saturday morning dunkin donuts run,
first, we picked up our organic bountiful basket and tropical basket...
maddie was amazed at how much fruit and told me that most of our basket didn't even look gross! :)
and now have a ridiculous amount of food to figure out what to do with!
two pineapples|two vanilla beans|six limes|six nectarines|six apples|a dozen bananas|three kiwi's|three mango's|broccoli|lettuce|snap peas|corn on the cob|honeydew|two plantains|onions|cilantro|blueberries

any recipes you might have would be MORE than welcome! :)

then we followed it up with the gilbert farmers market.
after eating a free range, whole grain, nut filled, organic breakfast
they got to stop by the petting zoo and hold baby pigs (that I seriously laughed at micah trying to catch one for about fifteen minutes...and boy did it squeal LOUD) and another bunny named elizabeth that maddie wanted to take home! :)  then we got mad a non-toxic tattoo that looked like the sun from tangled...she LOVES it! :)

we brought home some tamales that mad got to sample and proclaimed that she loved...I never in a million years would have guessed that she would like a tamale!
and our new friend the tomato plant...I keep hoping they'll like tomatoes...but no luck yet!
I'm also noticing that farmers markets bring out a lot of dogs...which makes my kids happy...is this a normal thing?  if you're eating healthier, do you need a dog to be able to join the club? :)






seriously great new kind-of a saturday morning!

and what I quickly made as soon as I got home: :)

homemade vanilla extract
1 cp. vodka
2 vanilla beans

*slice vanilla beans down the center
*combine ingredients in a glass jar and shake once a week for up to three months for fullest flavor

2 comments:

  1. HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Scary - but exciting too...check out the Everyday Paleo book for ideas for using your new produce...I'll look for recipes too. Nothing wrong with just eating the new stuff raw or lightly steamed & dip in a tasty oil w/ herbs...pretend you're in Tuscany!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i did bountiful baskets for over a year and loved not knowing what i'd be filling my basket with and then challenging myself to use all those goodies in new ways. bon apetit my friend!

    ReplyDelete