Thursday, June 30, 2011

the boss. :)

first off, maddie is doing AMAZINGLY well!
taking her 21 pills is going a lot easier thanks to our encouraging friend asher!
accidents this last month are BEYOND rare.
and overall, she's just a happier, healthier kid.
proof enough that this indeed is working!

but I don't want to talk about maddie tonight...
I want to talk about my mother.
through all of my trial and errors, my mother has been there being my biggest cheerleader and doing all this too.
THIS is my mother...my beeeeautiful mother. :)


do you see her?!
no.  do you SEE her?!
you see, my mother is awesome.
no really. she is.
I know all kids are supposed to say that about their mother's...and I hope that micah and maddie say it about me some day.  and to be honest, I'm fairly certain there is NO ONE who could stand up to my mother in a dark alley if she was protecting someone she loved...she's that scary too :)
but to be honest?
my mother is winning awesomeness awards left and right.

these last two weeks I've been down and out with an assortment of kidney, throat & booger issues.
some more serious than others.
and before I get a bunch of emails saying how sorry you are for me...I'm fine.
trust me.
I've had a cat scan, mri, blood taken, throat cultures, ears checked, nose checked and even an ultrasound.
I'm good...and there is no cause for concern.  really.  I've seen my guts and I'm all good. :)

but through all of this, is my mother.
she is the one who bossed me and took me to the hospital when I foolishly though I could.
she carted my kids to my sisters and even brought them home so that matt could take care of me.
and then tonight?!
but tonight? tonight, she takes the cake.
well, at least she baked the cake...the epic pumpkin dessert cake jars!
along with homemade chicken pieces (how she makes chicken not dry EVER is beyond me), dairy free mashed potatoes, assorted steamed veggies, CUT UP cantelope, dinner rolls, HOMEMADE chicken gravy and the epic pumpkin dessert cake jars.  chocolate chip pumpkin bread with frosting even maddie can have!  and they were FREAKING amazing!  it was like thanksgiving in our house tonight, but with a different bird. :)

(I'll post the recipe when she gets home and reads this and see's that I need the recipe :)

*UPDATED*
here's the recipe! :)

Based on a recipe published by Elana Amsterdam in "Gluten-Free Cupcakes".

1 cup blanched almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup Stevia in the Raw (this type measures cup for cup like sugar)
2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

MIX ALL OF THE ABOVE TOGETHER IN A LARGE BOWL, USING A WHISK TO MAKE SURE ALL LUMPS ARE REMOVED FROM THE ALMOND AND COCONUT FLOURS.

3  large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup melted organic butter flavored palm oil shortening (I used Spectrum brand)
2/3 cup canned organic pumpkin
2 -3 TBSP vanilla flavored almond milk

IN SMALLER BOWL, BLEND ALL THE ABOVE INGREDIENTS TOGETHER

USING ELECTRIC MIXER BLEND ALL INGREDIENTS TOGETHER UNTIL SMOOTH, THEN STIR IN:

1/4 - 1/2 cup "Enjoy Life" chocolate chips (gluten, dairy, and soy free)

IN PREHEATED 350* OVEN, BAKE FOR ABOUT 15-20 MINUTES FOR 12 REGULAR SIZED MUFFINS (spray pan or papers with oil first), OR 28 MINUTES FOR 6 "MUFFINS IN A JAR" (I used 8 oz. jelly jars, filled 2/3 full - first spray them with oil).  When baking in jars, place them on a baking pan or cookie sheet with sides, and be careful transferring them in and out of the oven...they slide!  When cool, if desired they can be frosted.

Here's what I used:

2/3 cup low-carb frosting mix (purchased online @ $8 from LC Foods - approx. 2 cups in the small bag)  Only 3 carbs per tablespoon - and its all fiber!
(patent pending blend of inulin (chicory root), fiber, soluble dietary fiber, stevia, and natural luo han guo monk fruit (?), and some other fibers)
2 TBSP water
1/4 tsp. vanilla
4 TBSP butter flavored palm oil shortening

I BLENDED THIS ALTOGETHER...ENOUGH FOR ABOUT 6 MUFFINS IN A JAR.




so you see, your mothers might be great and all...
but my mother is the best.  really.  no. really. :)
and I love her more and more and am epically thankful for her. :)

5 comments:

  1. Wow! You make me and those chocolate chip pumpkin jars look good! You're right about the dark alley comment...anyone (incuding germs) that messes with my kids/grandkids has got to deal with ME!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously super cool mom! seriously. and i want that pumpkin jar cake recipe ASAP! yum. praising God for his faithfulness to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome...seriously Mom...that is awesome. Makes my heart feel SO good to see it. You are a wonderful example of love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I realize the ingredient list for the pumpkin bread is rather odd sounding to folks that aren't used to baking either gluten or dairy free, or even low-carb. Unless you have dietary needs, there's no reason to go buy all that stuff...its just what we're doing now to help Maddie have some treats that taste good! (and for me too as a person trying to cut back on high carbohydrate foods!). Not all of my experiments have turned out so well...but I'm happy with this recipe. Without the chocolate chips it might not be sweet enough for most people, so just up the sweetener, or add in a tablespoon of honey.
    Evidently most any cake/sweet bread/pie/etc. can be baked in the adorable little jars, but I've read that its best to use the smaller sizes, and keep the temps below 350*.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, I'm convinced, you have the best mom! But, I didn't really need convincing :).

    ReplyDelete